Wednesday, June 22, 2011

WHAT?

I had a conversation with my sister yesterday about the danger that ADAP was going to go away. She asked me if that meant that the "innocents" or people who got AIDS from blood transfusions and children and infants of infected mothers would be cut off too. What, those of us who were not innocent deserve to die? By the way that includes your brother. Yet again I am shocked by a comment from my "loving" family. One would think that by now I would have learned otherwise. Not that long ago seated across the table from my mother after Sunday dinner I got the remark-out of the blue- well if you had made better decisions your health would not be so bad. Then there was the time-also out of the blue- that my mother informed me that she did not believe in Gay marriage. Ha, the joke's on her this time, neither do I. I do however believe in Civil Unions for us. I guess that because I am a 51 year old Gay man that I am not supposed to have any feelings. WRONG! These comments hurt Mommy Dearest! Yet I keep going back for more. Who's stupid now?
     The irony in all of this is that my sister is a Lesbian and lives with her partner of 10 years. Now this is OK with my parents,but just let me announce that I am in love with a man and watch the fireworks start. After taking quotations from the Book of Leviticus and the writings of St.Paul way out of context(I told you this is life in the Bible Belt) I get reminded of what horrible choices each of my past three partners was. Unfortunately I can not argue that point as there is much truth in it. But I was in love!(gag)
     Now the biggest rub. I am out,period. I do not lie, I do not hide. If you do not want to know the answer, then do not ask the question. I am guilty of being selectively out in the past but I am remedying that. My sister, you remember the lesbian, is not. I reminded her of that fact yesterday. Her response, "Mom and Dad know that there is only one bedroom in the house!" Oh Margaret! They also knew that about my houses, but I still TOLD them that I am Gay. A dear friend of mine says "You can't argue with stupid", Loren you hit that nail on the head. When will I take it to heart? One of these days, soon I hope, I am going to say to my family I am out of here, I am going to run not walk and never look back. Until then I guess I will still have to endure life in the Bible Belt.   Hugs to all-Garry

No comments:

Post a Comment